Role: English Literacy and Numeracy Teaching Advisors for Rwanda, Primary Education
Start date: September 2019
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international
understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
To contribute to a significant increase in children’s foundational English literacy and numeracy outcomes and reduction in dropout by providing high quality training and coaching to all English and Mathematics teachers at P1-3,
Intensive support for advanced skills teachers and education through coaching and leadership of both face-to-face and virtual peer-network activities.
They will also build the capacity of district training teams and share qualitative information to support evaluations and on-going adaption of the programme to maximize effectiveness. Whilst each advisor will provide overall support in 2 districts, they can
also be flexibly deployed to provide intensified support in other districts as necessary
Successful candidates are likely to have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
• A primary education degree or Post-Graduate Certificate of Education
• At least 4 years experience of effective teaching of foundational English literacy and numeracy and parental engagement in primary education
• Demonstrable understanding of learner-centred pedagogic techniques
• Fluent English speaker
• Good written skills in English
• Capability to produce accurate, reflective reports with reference to qualitative and quantitative data
• Key qualities of relationship-building, adaptability and resilience
This position is for 1 or 2 years.
You can find more information about VSO volunteering conditions like local allowance, accommodation, plane ticket and medical insurance on www.vso.nl.